I am glad we had time to discuss tonight. I think that was a necessary component after watching Journey to a Hate Free Millennium.
The video is long. However, it sends a powerful message. Even within the first 30 seconds, I think we start to open our eyes a little more. Words like "Nigger, Kike, Spic" came on the screen. As far as I am concerned, language like that is intolerable. Yes, we all are given the freedom of speech. However, a value that I was raised with was if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. I really, strongly believe that our freedom of speech stops when we hurt someone else.
This video sends a powerful message about othering and hate crimes. Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. died because someone else (or groups of people) are judgemental and as far as I am concerned horrible people. Just hearing how these individuals died is devastating to listen to. Kara brought up in class why do we confuse apathy and tolerance. I, honestly, believe we confuse the two because we don't think it affects us. Until we see the big picture, we have no idea of how devastating these realities are. I didn't understand a lot of these concepts until I moved to Fargo and went to graduate school. When I got there, my eyes were opened to different groups of people who I had not encountered before. I learned about different cultures and hate that happens in our own families.
For instance, my family has had an interesting experience with a couple gay individuals (to make a long story short, I had 2 aunts who married men who later came out to be gay. My grandparents--both sides--were not accepting of this. My mom is a very open individual and didn't approve of the situation, but is still accepting of the gay lifestyle. My dad was on the complete opposite side of the fence. I was very torn because I never understood). However, after maturing a bit, I came to the realization that I could not judge an entire group of people based on the behavior/actions of one or two individuals. When I moved to Fargo, I met people who were homosexual and bisexual. I would never ever judge them based on those qualities. I think sometimes we need to remember they are people too!
The video brought in that we need education to overcome ignorance. I would agree to an extent. However, at what age do we teach these concepts? Are students going to understand if they are taught at too young of an age? We need to learn how to solve conflicts in a peaceful manner. I agree. In fact, I would go so far as to say that there were a couple individuals in class last night that I totally disagree with. Violence is never the answer. Individuals need to learn to get ride of hate and rage by doing something constructive (like working out, doing manual labor, etc.). We need to teach values was brought up in the video. I think this is an interesting concept because I agree, but how do we teach our values without being pushy?
Who is to blame for our society acting the way we do? Do we blame parents? TV? Media? Something else?
Here is a concept from the movie that I loved. KIDS ARE TAUGHT TO HATE. KIDS ARE ALSO TAUGHT TO LOVE. THESE ARE TAUGHT CHARACTERISTICS.
In the video and in the articles it said that people target transgendered individuals, homosexuals, and others because they won't fight back. Lots of these individuals do not report the cases. Why? It is also stated that law enforcement does not understand these groups of people. How do we change that?
What's more important? Free speech or Cultural Sensitivity (and I am not talking about legally or what should be a law. I'm asking which is more important to you)
Do you think hate crime laws make it seem like it is worse to kill a homosexual than a heterosexual?
"Hate crime laws aren't at all about eliminating hate; they're about eliminating what leftists happen to hate. Leftists feel sympathy for minorities and homosexuals, so they get protections, but not for whites and heterosexuals, so they get protection?" Do you agree/disagree? Why?
Do you agree with this statement? "Racism"--a black person cannot be racist because a prerequisite for this is that a group must wield the power to oppress.
Who are oppressed groups? Is hating one racial group worse than hating another? What can we do to stop hate crimes?
What do you think of the statement at the end of the article about Matthew Shepard's Act "Are you going to be willing to look at the mourner in the eye and explain how justice dictates that the politically correct killer should get a relative slap on the wrist?"
Please also make sure you post about the Stereotyping of Native Americans Article.
Until next week...
No comments:
Post a Comment