Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week Two Reflection

I promised the students I would blog with them. Last night was a great class. I did not expect so much feedback and so many different discussions. I think that some people think that just because we do not talk about what is on the syllabus or schedule for the night means we have been sidetracked. However, if we are still talking about Intercultural Communication, I am okay with that.

I really enjoyed class last night. Having Anastasiya come to class was a great opener. She was very willing to share about her culture and I think it was a great start to the semester. I think it was great that even if we don't how where the country is we get a geography lesson as well. I am going to talk to the Ukrainian Cultural Institute out of Dickinson and see if we get can some cheese and/or potato pierogies.

The video was okay. I think it sent a strong message (even with the bad fashion). I shut it off about half way through because it looked like everyone understood. I think it definitely showed that we can not expect one person to be able to be the spokesperson for an entire culture.

Our discussion was great. In fact, I completely lost track of time because it was so good (and I forgot to give another break). I always love having the conversation of the difference between sex and gender and the sex/gender roles that society puts on individuals. Part of the reason I love the conversation is because I do not fit into that mold. I grew up in a house where my parents taught me I could do anything I want to do. I was out feeding my animals at a young age (even when it was cold and blizzard-like conditions) and doing other physical labor because I grew up on a farm. I was taught in a different atmosphere as others. I was taught that it didn't matter if I was male or female, I could do anything! I am very thankful for that strong message. I do a lot of things that are 'outside the box'. I strongly believe in paving my own path in life no matter what others say.

After talking about sex and gender differences (which we will discuss more later in the semester), we were able to touch a few things. I hope those topics are something the students will think about. Some things I hope students think about are:
  • Who is the other? (We will discuss this in great detail on February 8)
  • How do you feel about therapies being based towards middle-class white people who are educated and employed?
  • What do you think of the classification of Indian Young people that the Coconuts and Cappuccinos article discussed?
  • Which do you think is more accurate? Melting Pot or Tossed Salad
  • What defines "American"?
  • How does "lead, follow, or get out of the way" pertain to I.C. (Intercultural Communication)?
  • What skills are most important to I.C.?
Remember, respect, tolerance, and acceptance are important in class and in understanding others. Also, remember we need to listen and not just hear!

Until next week...be reading your religion articles! We will have more fun discussions!

2 comments:

  1. I loved our discussion in class last night! I usually feel bad in class because I have a very dominant personality but I felt that (with help!) everyone was able to share their thoughts and opinions and receive feedback. I officially want more time for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is okay, Kara. I have a very dominant personality as well. I wish we had more time too. (I'm sure not everyone feels that way, though.)

    ReplyDelete